Los Cabos Travel Guide
Everything you need to know about planning a trip to Los Cabos, Mexico
CABO SAN LUCAS TRAVEL GUIDE CONTENTS
Los Cabos is the top destination for Americans who want to have easy access to Mexico. Although it is still more expensive than many other destinations, tourism has been increasing through the years. Mexico is visited by over 40 million Americans every year and in 2021, approximately 1,069,834 Americans visited Los Cabos.
It is famed for its all-inclusive resorts but Los Cabos has a good gastronomical scene. Many top chefs in the country are here which makes the Los Cabos restaurant culture very rich and interesting.
There are also different activities that are not only water-focused. You can wander the deserts, drive through secluded beaches, and hike mountain peaks. We are currently based in Los Cabos and in this travel guide, we will give you some insider tips that we discovered while we are living here. Don’t forget to get in touch because we can meet you!
💡 Los Cabos Travel Guide: quick info
- 🇲🇽 State: Baja California Sur
- ⏰ Timezone: Pacific Daylight Time (GMT-6)
- 💲 Currency: Mexican pesos (MXN) with $ sign used. Don’t confuse it with US$ or USD.
- 🔌 Power plug: Mexico uses a type A socket (US, Canada). For more information about power plugs in Mexico, see this link (with photos)
- 📱 Mexico sim card: The best provider that works in Cabo San Lucas is Telcel. See our complete Mexico sim card guide for more information.
- 🛃 Visa: Mexico is no longer giving 180 days visa to tourists so make sure that you have proof of accommodation and outbound flight so you’ll get the right visa.
- 🤟 Language: This area of Baja California Sur has been hollywoodinized so 100% of the people in the service industry are very equipped with the English language.
- 📡 Wifi: The average Wifi speed in Los Cabos is 20 Mbps with a fiber optic connection of up to 50 Mbps.
- 🌵 Culture: People always come and go. Visitors stay for the weekend and it is also popular for bachelor/bachelorette parties. This is also the fishing capital of Mexico where the annual Bisbee’s Fishing Tournament is held. Cabo San Lucas is usually loud where bars and nightclubs are blaring until the wee hours of the morning.
🗺️ Cabo San Lucas Map
🏖️ Book your trip to Los Cabos
🚦 Los Cabos Transportation Guide
- 🚕 Los Cabos Airport transfer: The airport that serves Los Cabos is San Jose del Cabo International Airport (SJD). From the airport, it takes 45 minutes to get to Cabo San Lucas. The airport transfer price starts at $75 USD and you can book with our local drivers!
- 🚶♀️Walking: Cabo San Lucas is a walking town and everything is reachable by foot within 10 minutes. You don’t really need a car when staying in downtown San Lucas. The traffic is terrible and parking is very difficult. Walking is a great way to discover Cabo San Lucas!
- 🚌 Bus: There are busses that go in between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. This ride costs $7 USD (one-way). The big companies like Aguila also go all the way up to Tijuana.
- 🚕 Uber/Taxi: Uber works perfectly in Cabo San Lucas but there’s a longer wait time (15 minutes). A one-way ride in Cabo San Lucas starts at $7 USD for Ubers. Most resorts don’t allow Ubers to go in because they have their own taxi services that start from $25 USD.
- 🚗 Rental cars: The best way to get around Los Cabos is by renting a car at Los Cabos International Airport. The daily rate is about $55 USD for a Sedan (4-seater).
📅 Best time to visit Cabo San Lucas
📍 Cabo San Lucas Attractions
🏄♀️ Things to do in Cabo San Lucas
🧭 Los Cabos Tours
Oceanic Odyssey: Cabo’s Premier Whale Watching TourFrom: USD$129.00
Cabo San Lucas Airport Taxi to Hard Rock, Quivira, and Nobu [Zone 4]From: USD$99.00
Cabo San Lucas Airport transportation to Tourist Corridor [Zone 2]From: USD$79.00
Cabo San Lucas Airport Transfer to center [Zone 3]From: USD$89.00
🛏️ Cabo San Lucas Resorts and Hotels
🌮 Where to eat in Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos is the gastronomic capital of Mexico. This is where you will find all the best restaurants in the country spearheaded by accomplished Mexican and International chefs. Baja California Sur Culinary Awards is held annually in Los Cabos so expect a great selection of cuisine, dishes, and restaurants in the area.
🍸 Cabo San Lucas Bars and Nightlife
The bars in Los Cabos are located in the Cabo San Lucas downtown area. Should partying be part of your Los Cabos itinerary, make sure to find a hotel near downtown San Lucas.
This area is filled with night clubs, bars, and dance floors with DJs. Whether you are looking for a crazy party, a chill cocktail night, or a beer den, Cabo San Lucas has it all! Here are our favorite local spots.
💵 Money and Costs
Los Cabos travel budget (est)
💵 US dollars: In Cabo, everything is in US dollars and even locals use it in the busses or supermarkets. I was really amazed and shocked but I still use the Mexican peso in Cabo.
You won’t have to worry about it! However, please know that if you use US dollars in Cabo, the conversion rate is lower. If the current conversion rate is 20 Mexican pesos per USD, they will only exchange 17 pesos per USD if you choose to pay this way.
🏧 ATMs: There are many USD ATMs in town and you can also take out in Mexican peso using your debit card. The usual withdrawal fee is US$5 but it depends on your bank.
The USD ATM machines in Cabo are in every corner and they’re literally just machines. My brother visiting me from Sacramento found it so sketchy to withdraw USD in a freaking machine in the middle of the street but I told him it’s safe and it’s the Mexican way.
💳 Credit/debit cards: Credit and debit cards are accepted everywhere in Cabo. Even the taco restaurants accept them so don’t worry. They will always ask you if you want to be charged in MXN or USD.
I always put the local currency for my US credit card since it has better rates and conversions. In Mexico, they will also ask you if you want to use the “tap” option but I still go old school and use the ‘insert card’ option.
I’ve had very bad experiences with tapping (my card number was stolen and was used without asking for a passcode) so since then, I avoid using tap and asked my bank to deactivate it.
Amex is widely accepted in Los Cabos.
💸 Tipping: f you didn’t like the service, 15% will do but if you liked the service, you can tip up to 25%. Honestly, service in Cabo is top class. You’ll never see anything like it in Mexico.
Is Los Cabos cheap?
By Mexican pricing standards, Los Cabos is not cheap. It is one of the most expensive places to visit in Mexico. Through the years, it is becoming similar to Los Angeles (CA, USA) prices. Honestly, you will always get what you pay for when you do a vacation in Los Cabos. Nothing in Cabo is of low quality and the service is good, too!
What is the cheapest month to go to Cabo?
The cheapest month to go to Cabo is August and September which are low seasons in Mexico. At this time of the year, Baja California Sur experiences rain showers and hurricanes. We do not recommend traveling here in September although the Los Cabos rain is still more pleasant than in mainland Mexico.
How much money should I take to Cabo for a week?
It really depends on your travel style but to give you an estimate, a 7-day accommodation in Los Cabos (in a resort) costs US$250 per night for two people. As for the tours, expect to pay at least US$75 per tour. You can alot a food budget of US$15 per meal in nice restaurants while street food costs less than US$5.