La Paz Mexico Travel Guide
Everything you need to know about planning a trip to La Paz Mexico
LA PAZ MEXICO TRAVEL GUIDE CONTENTS
The city of La Paz is still one of the most Mexican cities filled with culture, food, and outdoor activities. Backed by the Sea of Cortez (the Aquarium of the World), La Paz is a great vacation destination for those who are looking for something different from the obligatory Los Cabos vacation circuit. It is just 2 hours of Los Cabos and La Paz is still cheaper than most destinations in Baja California Sur. Here’s a complete guide on how to do your vacation in La Paz Mexico.
✈️ La Paz Travel Guide: Quick Info
- 🇲🇽 State: Baja California Sur
- ⏰ Timezone: Mountain Standard Time (GMT-7)
- ✈️ Airport: La Paz International Airport
- 💲 Currency: Mexican pesos (MXN) with $ sign used. Don’t confuse it with US$ or USD.
- 🔌 Power plug: Mexico uses a type A socket (US, Canada). For more information about power plugs in Mexico, see this link (with photos)
- 📱 Mexico sim card: The best provider that works in Sayulita area and the Riviera Nayarit is Telcel. See our complete Mexico sim card guide for more information.
- 📡 Wifi: The average Wifi speed in La Paz is 15 Mbps with a fiber optic connection of up to 50 Mbps.
- 🛃 Visa: Mexico is no longer giving 180 days visa to tourists so make sure that you have proof of accommodation and outbound flight so you’ll get the right visa.
- 🤟 Language: La Paz is still a very Mexican city so not everyone can speak English very well. Most people who work in the travel industry has good English-speaking skills but in restaurants and street food carts, you have to practice your Spanish!
- 🌵 Culture: La Paz Mexico is one of the cities in Baja California Sur that still has a very rich Mexican culture. Many foreigners choose to live here because of the cheaper costs (compared to its neighbors, Cabo San Lucas or Todos Santos).
🗺️ La Paz Mexico Map
🏖️ Book your trip to La Paz
🚦 La Paz Transportation Guide
- 🚕 La Paz Airport transfer: La Paz Airport taxis start at $35 USD per ride. The trip from the airport is less than 30 minutes.
- 🚶♀️Walking: La Paz Mexico is very accessible by foot. Depending on where you are staying, you can use the location La Paz Malecon on Google maps to know how far the walks are. This is the center of town where you will find all the things to do, landmarks, and attractions.
- 🚌 Bus: Busses in La Paz are not that efficient and actually take time to pass at each bus stop. The minimum wait for the busses is around 20 minutes and it only costs less than $1 USD for a one-way ride. If you are planning to go to nearby destinations such as Los Cabos and Todos Santos, you can take the Aguila bus at La Paz bus station. These buses leave every 45 minutes and go around Baja California Sur!
- 🚗 Rental cars: The best way to get around La Paz is by renting a car at La Paz International Airport. The daily rate is about $35 USD for a Sedan (4-seater).
- 🚴♀️ Bicycle: La Paz is a bicycle city! This is actually the only city in Baja California Sur that has bike lanes. It is also very safe as cars prioritize bikers and pedestrians. You can rent a bike in La Paz for as low as $45 USD per day – this is one of the best and fastest modes of transportation in La Paz Mexico. Alternatively, you can also rent a scooter.
📍 La Paz Attractions
🏄♀️ Things to do in La Paz
🛏️ Hotels in La Paz Mexico
🌮 Essential La Paz restaurants
☕ Best cafes in La Paz Mexico
🎉 La Paz Bars and Nightlife
💲 Money and Costs
- 💵 US dollars: Most of Baja California Sur accepts US dollars. However, in La Paz, some establishments still require payments in pesos. You can change your US dollars at the airport or in the money exchange house in La Paz called Pacifica.
- 🏧 ATMs: Your bank from your home country may charge a withdrawal fee of up to $7 USD per transaction. There are many ATM machines in La Paz but the best places to withdraw are the main banks like Santander, Banorte, or BBVA. All these banks are located in the Malecon area of La Paz.
- 💳 Credit/debit cards: Most establishments in La Paz accept Visa/Mastercard and only a few take American Express. If you are going to a local place (street food carts, Mexican restaurants, basic B&B), always bring cash as they don’t accept credit cards.
- 💸 Tipping: Tipping is mandatory in La Paz as the average daily salary in Mexico is only $7 USD per day. The tipping culture in Mexico and the US is the same so you can also tip as you would do it back home in the US.
✨ Helpful La Paz Travel Tips
- The capital of Bolivia is also called La Paz. Make sure to type “La Paz Mexico” in your Google searches as La Paz in Bolivia is also a popular destination. Don’t make this common traveler mistake!
- Use La Paz Malecon on Google maps to know the distance of your accommodation to the main tourist attractions in La Paz. This is the center of the city and you will find all the things to do and activities here!
- There are over 6 beaches in La Paz and you can visit them all for FREE. You don’t even have to drive out of the city to go to these beaches! FYI, Balandra Beach in La Paz is one of the best beaches in the world according to Conde Nast Traveler.
- La Paz is a safe city. The streets are 100% pedestrian-friendly and this is a favorite destination for families traveling with kids.
- The best restaurants in La Paz are not in the Malecon area. In fact, those restaurants are quite overpriced. Go to the backstreets and find the best local restaurants and eateries!
- Apart from being a bicycle city, you can skate, and rent a scooter or motorbike in La Paz. The cars in La Paz drive slowly because of this. Pedestrians are always a high priority!
- Practice your Spanish before traveling to La Paz Mexico as not everyone can speak English.
- You need travel insurance when you travel to La Paz Mexico. Use SafetyWing to get the best deals (from $40 USD per month).