Destinations > Chiapas
Chiapas Travel Guide
Everything you need to know about planning a trip to Chiapas, Mexico
CHIAPAS TRAVEL GUIDE CONTENTS
Chiapas is located in the southeastern region of Mexico. It covers an area of 135,337 km2; its capital city is Tuxtla Gutierrez. Chiapas is known as one of the most culturally rich states in Mexico. The state has majestic forests, many of which are natural parks and protected by the government.
Among the most prominent attractions that draw tourists to the region are the archaeological zone at Palenque and the city of San Cristobal de las Casas. Chiapas is also a popular hiking destination with its vast network of hiking trails in the Lacandon Jungle.
✈️ Chiapas Travel Guide: Quick Info
- 🇲🇽 Capital: Tuxtla Gutiérrez
- ⏰ Timezone: Central Standard Time (GMT-6)
- ✈️ Airports: Tuxtla Gutiérrez Airport, Palenque International Airport and Tapachula International Airport
- 🌆 Major Cities (population): Tuxtla Gutiérrez (503,320) Tapachula (282,420) Ocosingo (170,280) San Cristóbal de las Casas (166,460) Las Margaritas (98,374)
- 🚩 Size/Area: 28,653 square miles
- 🧑🤝🧑 Population: 4,293,459 (2005 Census)
- 📅 Year of Statehood: 1823