About | Itinerary | Tour Essentials | Reserve Now | FAQ | Testimonials
- 💀 Experience the biggest event in Mexico – dia de los muertos / day of the dead
- 🏺 Visit Oaxaca museums and markets
- 🪅 Explore the insane colors of Oaxaca City
- 🙋 Expert tour leaders who live in Oaxaca
- 🧑🤝🧑 Small group (maximum of 12 participants)
- 🌮 An extensive and local food tour
- 🍲 Non-repetitive Oaxacan cuisines per meal
- 🏨 Stay in a 3-star hotel (private Airbnb)
- 🇲🇽 This is a cultural and adventure tour
- 🤝🏻 Meet fellow travelers on the tour
Historically, the day of the dead is celebrated because the Mexicans believe that their departed loved ones come back (from the dead, literally) to visit them. With this, the ever-so-entertaining Mexicans put on a grand show for the deceased relatives and friends by putting on a glamorous altar. Candles, photos, and even food are placed on the altar as offerings (ofrenda).
We have been doing this customized Oaxaca day of the dead tour since 2018 and many of our clients have good feedback. We are not some travel agency but we are expats who are living in Oaxaca. We did these tours ourselves before promoting them to other travelers!
All our tours have been carefully vetted through our #SupportLocal project where we personally travel around Mexico and vet these activities. Our tours are limited to 12 people only to maintain the authenticity and closeness of the group. We do not do heavily commercial and non-personalized tours.
✈️ Flights to Oaxaca City are not included in this package. You can use the code MXINSIDER to get a 10% discount on all flights from the USA, Canada, the UK, and Australia upon checkout on WayAway.. If you need assistance with flight bookings, our Mexico Insider Concierge will help you via our Whatsapp hotline.
🧭 Tour Essentials
Physical Level: Easy
Oaxaca is a walking city with no uphill/elevated streets. The city is flat and the streets are cobblestones. This tour is great for all ages.
We will stay in a 3-star hotel with breakfast. If you want to see the hotels, you can check Hotel Trebol, Selina and La Betuila. These are our partner hotels for our Oaxaca day of the dead tours.
🛏️ Booking your own accommodation? See our best recommendations: Luxury Hotels in Oaxaca City | Oaxaca Hostels | Cheap hotels in Oaxaca
We will be walking for most of the trip within Oaxaca City. If we are to go to the next town, we will have an air-conditioned vehicle/van. All Oaxaca airport transfers are also included in the final tour price.
You will have 7 dinners, 4 lunches, and breakfast is included in your hotel reservation.
Sustainability and ethics
Our quality control team has carefully vetted tall these tours. Meaning, we have personally traveled to these areas to experience these tours first-hand. Read our #SupportLocal project for more information.
💀 Reserve your day of the dead tour spot!
- To reserve your spot on this day of the dead tour in Oaxaca, a $500 USD deposit is required; refundable until June 30, 2023
- Once you pay the reservation fee, our team will schedule a Zoom call with you to get to know you (15-min chat)
- Travelers who book between now and March 2023 get a 10% early bird discount
- Gold Members of our Insider VIP travel get a 20% discount while Platinum Members get a 15% discount on all tours (early bird or not)
- Subscribe to our unique tours and experiences newsletter to get a special discount code via e-mail.
A private room to yourself (King bed) + all trip expenses
Share a room with 1 person in your tour group + all tour expenses
Tour expenses only; book your own accommodation with our recommendations
✅ What’s included?
❎ What’s NOT included?
❌ Cancellation Policy
- 100% refund until May 30, 2023
- Refundable until June 30, 2023 with a 16% IVA charge ($80 USD)
- 100% refund for Insider VIP Gold Members until July 15, 2023 and 16% IVA charge beyond this date