Sayulita Travel Guide
Everything you need to know about planning a trip to Sayulita, Mexico
Sayulita is one of the most famous destinations in our 2020’s best of the best awards list. Mexico Insider actually started in Sayulita where we lived for 2 years and got to know the pueblo very well. This Sayulita travel guide is in-depth, complete, transparent, and honest. You won’t need any other guides once you read this!
💡 Sayulita quick information
- 🇲🇽 State: Nayarit
- ⏰ Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5)
- ✈️ Airport: Puerto Vallarta International Airport
- 💲 Currency: Mexican pesos (MXN) with $ sign used. Don’t confuse it with US$ or USD.
- 🔌 Power plug: Mexico uses a type A socket (US, Canada). For more information about power plugs in Mexico, see this link (with photos)
- 📱 Mexico sim card: The best provider that works in Sayulita area and the Riviera Nayarit is Telcel. See our complete Mexico sim card guide for more information.
- 🛃 Visa: Mexico is no longer giving 180 days visa to tourists so make sure that you have proof of accommodation and outbound flight so you’ll get the right visa.
- 🤟 Language: Most people in the service industry in Sayulita can speak English but only in big restaurants. You will still need to speak Spanish with street food/market vendors.
- 🌵 Culture: Sayulita is home to many expats from the US, Canada, Latin America, and many parts of Mexico. The culture is very laid-back and have a very slow lifestyle. The community is also very close-knit so everyone knows everyone! This is also a very family-oriented town so you will see a lot of children, especially in the plaza.
🗺️ Sayulita Map
🧳 Trip Planning
📍 Sayulita Attractions
🏖️ Book your trip to Sayulita
🙋 Questions about Sayulita Mexico?
Why not ask someone who lives here? Here at Mexico Insider, our local experts are from the USA, Canada, Australia, the UK, and Europe. Talk to us today and see how we can help you plan your trip to Sayulita Mexico!
💵 Money and Costs
|Boutique hotel for 2||$35 USD|
|A bed in a hostel dorm||$15 USD|
|1-way airport transfer (private)||$55 USD|
|Eating out in a restaurant (one meal)||$7 USD|
|Street food tacos||$1.50 USD|
|Beer in a pub||$2 USD|
|Cocktails in a bar||$7 USD|
- 💵 US dollars: you can use USD to pay everywhere but every establishment has its own conversion rate. If the current rate in Mexico is $20 pesos per US$1, you will only get $18 pesos.
- 🏧 ATMs: Take as much cash as you can at the airport because ATMs in Sayulita always run out of cash! The hardest days to take cash is from Friday to Monday where ATMs are not able to dispense money. The best ATM is at Intercam but even though they are a bank, they seem to run out of cash, too! In any case that you urgently need cash, our office can send you money in Sayulita and we exchange a dollar for $18 pesos.
- 💳 Credit/debit cards: Restaurants accept credit cards but Mexico is still a cash society. AMEX is not widely accepted. Visa or Mastercard is preferred.
- 💸 Tipping in Sayulita: Tipping is highly encouraged as the daily wage in Mexico is low (US$7 per working day). If you like the service, you can give 15% but 10% is usually the minimum.