Our quality control team has carefully vetted this product. Read our #SupportLocal project for more information.
Alebrije is a popular folk art culture of brightly colored sculptures and mythical creatures. These brightly colored creatures were first made in the 1930s by Pedro Linares. Linares created them after having a dream about imaginary animals. Alebrijes are now an important part of Mexican folk art and can be found in markets and shops all over Oaxaca. They’re typically made from wood or paper mache and are painted with vibrant colors and intricate designs. Many alebrijes depict animals like dragons, lions, and wolves, while others feature more fantastical creatures like centaurs and unicorns.
🧭 Alebrijes Workshop Itinerary
- 10:00 AM – Pick up at your hotel in Oaxaca: Please be at your hotel lobby by 9:55 AM. The driver will pick you up and coordinate with you via Whatsapp.
- 10:45 AM – Arrive at the local workshop: Your tour guide will introduce you to the local artisan family. The family will show you their workspace, explain how they make the alebrijes, and share some history about this Oaxacan craft.
- 11:15 AM – Start of Alebrijes Workshop: The local family will give you a blank alebrije. You will choose the colors, and the family will teach you how to meticulously paint your alebrije. You will bring this alebrije with you home as a souvenir or you can gift it to friends and family!
- 2:00 PM – Return to Oaxaca City: You are expected to be back in Oaxaca City by 2:00 PM. The driver and tour guide will drop you off at your hotel or at Oaxaca Centro.
✅ What’s included?
- Door-to-door pick up to and from your accommodation in Oaxaca
- English-speaking driver and guide
- Alebreije Workshop – you can bring your alebrije as a souvenir!
- Travel insurance for participants
❎ What’s NOT included?
- Meals (breakfast, lunch) but we will take you to a local spot
- Tips for the tour guides and driver
❌ Cancellation policy
Refundable 7 days before the trip date with a 16% IVA charge/fee