Hierve el Agua is a mineral-rich petrified waterfall formed over thousands of years. The mineral deposits have created dramatic rock formations that resemble frozen waterfalls. The site comprises two main pools: the lower pool, which is larger and has a more gradual slope, and the upper pool, which is smaller and has a steeper slope.
Hierve el Agua also features a series of cascading mineral-encrusted terraces that are ideal for hiking and exploring. The site is considered sacred by the indigenous Zapotec people and is believed to have healing properties. This is a must-visit destination when in Oaxaca!
🧭 Hierve El Agua Hiking Tour itinerary
- You will be picked up at your hotel between 7:30 AM to 8:00 AM. This is a shared tour, so other travelers will join you.
- You will first visit Teotitlán del Valle, a small Zapotec town of weavers and textile makers. Here, you will learn how the Oaxacans use ancestral techniques to dye wool and weave their rugs.
- After Teotitlan, you will head to Hierve El Agua for the hike and to swim in the pools (2 hours in total)
- You will stop for lunch, recommended by the local driver, but the food is not included in the tour price
- The last stop is a mezcal factory where you will learn about the traditional Oaxacan mezcal-making process. Of course, you will also get to taste the mezcal!
✅ What’s included?
- Door-to-door pick up to and from your accommodation in Oaxaca
- English-speaking driver
- Mezcal tasting
- All park entrance fees
❎ What’s NOT included?
- Meals (breakfast, lunch) but we will take you to a local spot
- Tips for the tour guides and driver
- Hike guide
Not recommended for travelers with back problems, heart problems, or travelers who recently had surgery
❌ Cancellation policy
Refundable 4 days before the trip date with a 16% IVA charge/fee