This cooking class in Oaxaca is outside of Oaxaca City. You will go to a local hacienda with a farm and large space for this activity. This is the most traditional cooking class in Oaxaca that is not the same as the other tours so you will have a guaranteed local experience!
You will first tour the small vegetable garden to collect ingredients for your cooking class. Before the actual cooking class, you will have also have a short mezcal tasting where you will learn about mezcal.
ℹ️ Quick info
- 💸 Private tour: Discounted rate available for groups. Please inquire
- ⚡ Booking Window: 5-7 days
- ⏰ Duration: 4 hours
- 📅 Availability: Once a day
- 🧑🤝🧑 Participants: Limited slots, please book ahead of time
🗺️ Cooking class in Oaxaca itinerary
- 12:00 PM – pick up at Oaxaca City (we will send the pick-up location in Oaxaca centro)
- 1:00 PM – arrive in the cooking class venue. You will first have a tour in the small herbs garden where you will pick your Oaxacan herbs for your cooking class.
- 1:30 PM – there will be a small intro about mezcal (and mezcal tasting). You will also get to taste Oaxacan delicacies like chicatanas and chapulines: both good for mezcal pairing
- 2:00 PM – start of cooking class
- 3:30 PM – late lunch – we will eat what you cooked!
- 5:30 PM – back in Oaxaca City
👨🍳 What you’ll learn in this cooking class in Oaxaca
- How to make tortillas from scratch
- How to make tetelas and memelas, traditional Oaxaca street food
- How to make a traditional Mexican salsa with a molcajete. You will also learn how to cook on a comal (4-6 salsas)
- Create traditional Oaxacan mole from scratch using a metate (mole negro)
- You will also taste traditional chocolate drinks, ice cream, and Oaxacan coffee
- This cooking class in Oaxaca has a vegetarian/vegan option so contact us, and we’ll set that up for you
✅ What’s included?
- Transportation to and from Oaxaca City (meeting point)
- Expert chefs and guides
- All ingredients for the cooking class
- Drinks: water, coffee, beer, tea, soda, juice, natural water, and mezcal
- All meals during the cooking class (see food list above)
- Mezcal tasting
❎ What’s NOT included?
- Meals and activities not mentioned above
- Other gratuities and tips for the local guides
- Travel insurance (mandatory). Please get your insurance from Ekta Traveling or SafetyWing – these are the cheapest travel insurance for Mexico.
❌ Cancellation policy
- 100% refund 7 days before the tour
- 100% refund for Mexico Insider Club Members (up to 8 hours)
- 50% refund up to 2 days before the tour
- Non-refundable less than 48 hours before the tour