Destinations > Campeche
Campeche Travel Guide
Everything you need to know about planning a trip to Campeche, Mexico
CAMPECHE TRAVEL GUIDE CONTENTS
Campeche is located in southeast Mexico, bordered by the states of Tabasco, Yucatán, and Quintana Roo. Its capital city, also called Campeche, was declared a World Heritage Site in 1997. The state is considered an off-the-beaten destination in Mexico.
The state is considered an off-the-beaten destination in Mexico, but it is filled with Mayan archaeological sites, such as Acanmul, Balamkú, Becán, Bolonchén, Calakmul, Chactún, Chicanná, Chunlimón, Edzná, Isla de Jaina, Lagunita, the Petén Basin, Río Bec, Isla Uaymil, Xculoc, Xpuhil, and Xtampak.
Edna, an important ceremonial center in the pre-Classic Maya period (300-900 CE), is found near the city of Campeche in the Los Chenes region.
✈️ Campeche Travel Guide: Quick Info
- 🇲🇽 Capital: Campeche City
- ⏰ Timezone: Central Standard Time (GMT-6)
- ✈️ Airports: Candelaria Airport, Escárcega Airport, Palizada Airport, Xpujil Airport, and Del Carmen International Airport
- Major Cities (population): Campeche (238,850) Ciudad del Carmen (199,988) Champotón (76,116) Escárcega (50,106) Calkiní (49,850)
- Size/Area: 19,619 square miles
- Population: 754,730 (2005 Census)
- Year of Statehood: 1863